Cover image: Conversation figure after Dubberly Design Office.
Designing for Conversation
- Conversation is more than Interface, presented at Interaction 17, Interaction Design Association, New York City, February 2017
- Designing Conversations for Socially-Conscious Design, presented at RSD5 Systemic Design Conference, Toronto, October 2016
- Questions for Conversation Theory, American Society for Cybernetics Annual Meeting, Olympia, Washington, June 2016
- Videos and presentation slides comprising a brief review of personal history, followed by an excursion through cybernetics, conversation theory, and then examples of design for conversation: Design for Conversations & Conversations for Design, MIT Design & Computation Group, Cambridge, Massachusetts, September 2011
- While we think our software is 21st century, its gounding in "Shannon information" keeps us in the industrial age; alternatively, software to support the evolution of insights and conversations to create new language can help tame wicked problems: Design for Conversations & Conversations for Design, coThinkTank 2011, Berlin, September 2011
- A rigorous framing of conversation with prescriptions for applying it to the design of software applications and services: What is conversation? How do we design for effective conversation", co-authored with Hugh Dubberly. Written for praticing interaction designers and published in ACM's INTERACTIONS Magazine, July / August 2009
- A proposal for the future of digital publishing: From Page to Participation: Re-imagining Publishing in the Age of Conversation, Random House Digital Speaker Series, New York, March 2011.
- Conversation as the core of the design process: Rethinking Design Thinking, presentation given as lead-in to Redesign of Design, PICNIC Festival 2010, Amsterdam, September 2010.
- The nature of society and the role of conversation in schools, networks, and learning: society without school = conversations + learning + networks, Rede Vivo Educação - A Sociedade em Rede e a Educação, Brazil, September 2010
- Applying concepts of goal-directed systems, requisite variety and co-evolution to characterize marketing conversations and to offer prescriptions for improving them: "How Can I Put That? Applying Cybernetics to Conversational Media". From the Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Cybernetics 2009, published in the journal Cybernetics & Human Knowing, Volume 17, Issue 1-2, 2010.
- Presenter's notes and video of a talk on the inherent limitations of any design process, and how to lift them through design of conversation and development of new language: Language is to conversation as air is to breathing. Presented at situate.us workshop, Strategy Lab @ OCAD Toronto, May 2009.
- Cybernetics, conversation and applications for design: Designing for Conversation, slidedeck from a presentation to designers at IDEO, Cambridge, MA, May 2009.
- Unpicking digital marketing from the perspective of effective conversation, using current marketing examples and showing how to construe any digital channel as part of a conversation for building history and trust, leading to agreement and transaction: Master Class: Designing for Conversational Media, presented at ad:tech San Francisco, April 2009.